Our Reflections

Our Reflections
This photo is from a Florida Keys tour company

Monday, February 8, 2010

The Phases of the Moon

Have you ever wondered why the Moon looks different from one night to the next? As the Earth orbits, travels around, the Sun, the Moon also orbits the Earth causing the Moon to go through phases. In each phase the Sun is shining on the Moon from a different angle, causing the Moon to look different. Some nights the Moon seems to have disappeared, this is called a New Moon. A New Moon happens when the Moon is between the Earth and the Sun, and the Sun is shining of the back side of the Moon causing it to not be seen in the night sky. Some nights the Moon is a complete full bright ball in the sky. This is called a Full Moon. A Full Moon happens when the Moon is on one side of the Earth and the Sun is on the other side of the Earth. The Sun shines on the Moon causing it to be completely visable from the Earth. The first and third quarter moon is also called a Half Moon. Only half of the Moon is lit up in the night sky when the Moon is at a 90 degree angle to the Earth and Sun. Here is a video which will help understanding how the Moon goes through it's phases.

4 comments:

  1. Great description of the moon phases! I am still amazed everytime I see a full moon. I have discovered viewing the night sky with my children is a great way to spark up conversation and bond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have refreshed my memory on the moon phases and now I know them all :) I think children will think this blog interesting and will want to learn all the phases of the moon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Really good description of the moon phases. I like how you used Bill Nye as an addition to your post. Very nice looking blog page as well. Very clean and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Revised The text was confusing. But the video helped me understand the moon phrases better. I have refreshed my memory on the moon phases and now I know them all :) I think children will think this blog interesting and will want to learn all the phases of the moon.

    ReplyDelete